Over Her Dead Body, (12A)
Friday 01 February 2008
It is quite mystifying why Eva Longoria Parker, of Desperate Housewives, should have chosen the role she has in this godawful romantic comedy. She plays a Bridezilla who, on the day of her wedding, has no sooner finished ticking off the catering staff than she's hit by a flying ice sculpture – and dies! Don't start cheering just yet, because she returns to earth as a ghost and – guess what? – she's still a snitty control freak. She can't bear the idea of her fiancé (Paul Rudd) finding another love, so when he starts dating a spirit-medium (Lake Bell) she steps in to hijack any possibility of romance.
One fears the worst of Jeff Lowell's screenplay when someone describes a tomato as a vegetable, but that's as nothing to the dire slapstick and Longoria's misjudged turn as the undead meddler. Couldn't they have sent her to hell instead?
View the Over Her Dead Body trailer.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland