ParaNorman 3D (PG)
From Laika, the studio that produced the ingenious Coraline, comes another exuberant stop-motion horror-comedy with all the Gothic trimmings.
Norman (voiced by Kodi Smit-McPhee) is an 11-year-old who's bullied and isolated on account of his "gift" – he sees dead people, including his old gran (Elaine Stritch), and chats with them. Then a 300-year-old witch's curse returns to haunt his small town, raising from the grave her Puritan oppressors in the form of moaning zombies.
The first half-hour is terrific, with Chris Butler's screenplay mining the same queasy vein of humour as Coraline – jokes about severed body parts and rigor mortis fly past. Once the daft plot takes over, the film slackens under a welter of special effects and noise, but this is tiptop family entertainment – especially if your family's name is Addams.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
JK Rowling drops new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict