Personal Best (12A)
Sam Blair, 89mins
Sam Blair's documentary, timed for the run-in to the Olympics, considers the prospects of four British sprinters.
Filmed over four years, it sets all the hard slog of training against those intense few moments of competition, when hundredths of a second can be the difference between winning and losing. "Hope isn't precise enough – it's too vague," says one scarily focused competitor, meaning: thorough preparation is the key.
Hope is what your friends and supporters do. The film-makers get a little carried away with the use of super-slo-mo and the looming close-ups beloved of sportswear ads – I would have preferred tougher questioning over all the heroic muscle power on offer. For those counting down the days to August, though, this is a useful taster.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.