Ping Pong (PG)
What a heartwarmer. Documentarists Hugh and Anson Hartford have
uncovered an improbable truth about growing old: you don't have to
retire from life, or even from sport.
The film, following a handful of octogenarian competitors as they head to China for the Over-80s World Table Tennis Championships, recounts some amazing stories. Lisa, an 85-year-old naturalised American, was born in Vienna, fought the Nazis with the French Underground and won the Croix de Guerre, to go with her shelf-loads of tournament medals ("My endorphins go berserk after a good game"). She's a mere stripling compared with Australian Dorothy, an object of adoration still playing at 101. Bravest of all is Terry from Stockport, an 82-year-old with ruined lungs and prostate cancer yet absolutely determined to compete in China. "Inspirational" hardly covers it.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 4 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 5 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >