Pioneer, film review: Plot is so convoluted that it makes The Big Sleep look straightforward
(15) Erik Skjoldbjærg, 106 mins Starring: Wes Bentley, Stephen Lang, Aksel Hennie
This murky Scandinavian conspiracy thriller about deep-sea divers during the Norwegian oil boom of the 1980s suffers from a plot so convoluted that it makes The Big Sleep look straightforward.
The diving scenes are impressively handled. Erik Skjoldbjærg goes to great lengths to convey the claustrophobia involved in venturing 300 metres below the surface.
The problem, as the hero Petter (Aksel Hennie) tries to work out what caused his brother's death, is that the Norwegian director takes us too far from the sea, serving up red herrings as he goes.
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Revolutionary lost Caravaggio painting 'Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy' identified
Pottermore: JK Rowling writes new Harry Potter story featuring 'greying' 33-year-old wizard
JK Rowling to publish new Harry Potter story online for Halloween
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt stars in visceral and brutally ugly drama that reminds us war is hell
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year