Plastic, film review: Nasty streak of casual sexism runs through absurdly far-fetched film
(15) Julian Gilbey, 102 mins Starring: Ed Speleers, Will Poulter, Alfie Allen, Emma Rigby
Plastic plays like a bad episode of The Inbetweeners, minus all the jokes. Its protagonists are pimpled students at a London university who behave as if they are mobsters on leave from a Scorsese movie.
They eke out their student loans through blackmail and credit-card fraud. When they run foul of vicious hoodlum Marcel, they end up in Miami with only a few days to raise £2m.
A nasty streak of casual sexism runs through an already unpleasant and absurdly far-fetched film. The director Julian Gibney doesn't seem sure whether his characters are loveable rogues or delinquent psychopaths.
His earlier, low-budget Rise of the Footsoldier had a grit and modicum of plausibility that are utterly lacking here.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
'Phallic symbols' found hidden in famous Pre-Raphaelite painting 'Isabella' by John Everett Millais
Game of Thrones season 4 blooper reel unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Top Gear Burma episode breached Ofcom rules over Jeremy Clarkson's racial slur
Freddie Prinze Jr on 24: 'Kiefer Sutherland was the most unprofessional dude in the world – I hated every moment of it'
How did our legends really begin?
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
- < Previous
- Next >