Plastic, film review: Nasty streak of casual sexism runs through absurdly far-fetched film
(15) Julian Gilbey, 102 mins Starring: Ed Speleers, Will Poulter, Alfie Allen, Emma Rigby
Plastic plays like a bad episode of The Inbetweeners, minus all the jokes. Its protagonists are pimpled students at a London university who behave as if they are mobsters on leave from a Scorsese movie.
They eke out their student loans through blackmail and credit-card fraud. When they run foul of vicious hoodlum Marcel, they end up in Miami with only a few days to raise £2m.
A nasty streak of casual sexism runs through an already unpleasant and absurdly far-fetched film. The director Julian Gibney doesn't seem sure whether his characters are loveable rogues or delinquent psychopaths.
His earlier, low-budget Rise of the Footsoldier had a grit and modicum of plausibility that are utterly lacking here.
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Disney announces new female-led film Moana
Eight seconds of white noise is top of the Canadian iTunes chart because people love Taylor Swift that much
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Sensitive, silly and sensational
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world