Rebellion: the Litvinenko Case (NC)
Friday 23 May 2008
Andrei Nekrasov's documentary has edgy topicality – the fatal poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko in a London restaurant last November – but not much in the way of clarity or even cold, hard facts.
Before he died, the KGB agent explained to his friend Nekrasov his fears for the new Russia and his abhorrence of Putin's war with Chechnya, an outspokenness that made him an enemy of the Kremlin and may ultimately have been his undoing. But the film, instead of mounting a case to prove Litvinenko's murder, simply falls back on assertion, rumour and interviews with his widow. The sense of outrage is palpable, but some proper journalism is what's required.
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 5 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
Gaza Banksy mural sold to 'conman' for just $175
Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
Top Gear live to go ahead: Jeremy Clarkson to join Richard Hammond and James May... just don't call it Top Gear
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans