RFK Must Die: the Assassination of Bobby Kennedy (NC)
Friday 16 May 2008
It's 40 years next month since Bobby Kennedy was murdered at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles by a young Palestinian-American gunman, Sirhan Sirhan – or was he? O'Sullivan's film, which started life as a report for Newsnight, sets out to show that things weren't that simple.
Well, they wouldn't be, would they? The resulting film gives an impression of exhaustiveness, by virtue of some amazing footage of the night in question, not to mention sheer length; but you might start to wonder at the absence of anybody with a good word to say for the official version of events – I mean, somebody must have believed it.
In fact, like most conspiracy theorising, O'Sullivan's film relies on the assumption that every apparent inconsistency points to a deliberate untruth; but the version he leans towards, involving Manchurian Candidate-style brainwashing and the conjecture that watch-company executives may have led double-lives as CIA agents, strains credulity beyond repair.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >