Silent House (15)
Chris Kentis, Laura Lau, 85mins. Starring: Elizabeth Olsen
The time is out of joint in this haunted-house story, remade from a Uruguayan thriller La Casa Muda.
Elizabeth Olsen is good as the young woman who's returned with her father and uncle to clear out the family summer home, only to find distressing reverberations from her past.
Alas, the subtleties of the original have been mostly blunted in the retelling. The cache of incriminating Polaroids that were chillingly revealed over the closing credits of the first film are here witheld – and therefore useless as a means of suspense.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >