Snow White and the Huntsman (12A)
Rupert Sanders, 127mins. Starring: Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron
An epic exercise in kitsch, this fantasy adventure takes the Snow White fairly tale and combines it with lashings of Arthurian swordplay, Narnia-like mysticism and Highlander-style preposterousness.
It's an indigestible mix overall even if debut director Sanders (a whizz kid from the advertising world) throws in plenty of spectacular set-pieces.
There's some sterling character work too from the dwarves, among them Ray Winstone as the misanthropic, tufty-headed Gort, who snarls out his lines as if he is offering "in play" betting odds on Snow White toppling the evil Ravenna (Charlize Theron as a cross between Countess Bathory and Cruella de Vil).
The impressive production and costume design and often nifty special effects surely deserved a script that made marginally more sense.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk