The Borderlands, film review: Cynicism, gravitas and inevitable blind terror
(15) Elliot Goldner, 89 mins Starring: Robin Hill, Gordon Kennedy, Aidan McArdle
Low-budget horror films based around found footage began to seem outdated not long after The Blair Witch Project (1999) but this British excursion into the form is surprisingly enjoyable.
It blends sarcastic humour with one or two moments that will give audiences a real jolt.
Vatican investigators are exploring strange goings-on at a remote country church. The local priest thinks that they are evidence of miracles but the investigators suspect either a hoax or something far darker.
There are dutiful nods in the direction of The Omen, The Exorcist and The Wicker Man. The writer-director Elliot Goldner makes inventive use of his West Country settings.
As the heavy-drinking ghostbuster, blustering Scottish comedian Gordon Kennedy (Absolutely) combines cynicism, gravitas and, eventually, the inevitable blind terror.
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Wireless 2015: Nicki Minaj 2 hours late to main stage due to 'travel issues'
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture