The Brothers Solomon (15)
Friday 02 November 2007
Odd-couple comedy that tries much too hard and, in other ways, not hard enough. Will Forte and Will Arnett play the titular brothers whose upbringing in a remote polar region has left them deeply dependent on one another and strangely ill-equipped to deal with the opposite sex.
Eager to honour the wishes of their dying father, the brothers somehow have to produce a grandchild – with unhilarious consequences, I'm afraid, many of them flavoured with Farrelly-esque gross-out and "inappropriate" behaviour (at one point they're arrested as suspected paedophiles).
The brothers' idiotic optimism is meant to be endearing but it keeps backfiring: they're actually a little creepy. For a better fish-out-of-water comedy try Brendan Fraser in Blast From The Past.
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Abdullah Deghayes: My son was the martyr of a just cause, says father of British teenager killed in Syria conflict
Ukraine crisis: Helicopter gunships take country closer to all-out war
- 1 Chelsea 1 Sunderland 2: Graceless reaction of Jose Mourinho a sad effort to hide his own flaws
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Shropshire criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers