The Brothers Solomon (15)
Friday 02 November 2007
Odd-couple comedy that tries much too hard and, in other ways, not hard enough. Will Forte and Will Arnett play the titular brothers whose upbringing in a remote polar region has left them deeply dependent on one another and strangely ill-equipped to deal with the opposite sex.
Eager to honour the wishes of their dying father, the brothers somehow have to produce a grandchild – with unhilarious consequences, I'm afraid, many of them flavoured with Farrelly-esque gross-out and "inappropriate" behaviour (at one point they're arrested as suspected paedophiles).
The brothers' idiotic optimism is meant to be endearing but it keeps backfiring: they're actually a little creepy. For a better fish-out-of-water comedy try Brendan Fraser in Blast From The Past.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments