The Brothers Solomon (15)
Friday 02 November 2007
Odd-couple comedy that tries much too hard and, in other ways, not hard enough. Will Forte and Will Arnett play the titular brothers whose upbringing in a remote polar region has left them deeply dependent on one another and strangely ill-equipped to deal with the opposite sex.
Eager to honour the wishes of their dying father, the brothers somehow have to produce a grandchild – with unhilarious consequences, I'm afraid, many of them flavoured with Farrelly-esque gross-out and "inappropriate" behaviour (at one point they're arrested as suspected paedophiles).
The brothers' idiotic optimism is meant to be endearing but it keeps backfiring: they're actually a little creepy. For a better fish-out-of-water comedy try Brendan Fraser in Blast From The Past.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Black-ish: America's new 'racist' TV sitcom has had a mixed reception
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >