The Brothers Solomon (15)
Friday 02 November 2007
Odd-couple comedy that tries much too hard and, in other ways, not hard enough. Will Forte and Will Arnett play the titular brothers whose upbringing in a remote polar region has left them deeply dependent on one another and strangely ill-equipped to deal with the opposite sex.
Eager to honour the wishes of their dying father, the brothers somehow have to produce a grandchild – with unhilarious consequences, I'm afraid, many of them flavoured with Farrelly-esque gross-out and "inappropriate" behaviour (at one point they're arrested as suspected paedophiles).
The brothers' idiotic optimism is meant to be endearing but it keeps backfiring: they're actually a little creepy. For a better fish-out-of-water comedy try Brendan Fraser in Blast From The Past.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Real-life Philomena says film is not 'anti-Catholic'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims