The Game Plan, (U)
Friday 07 March 2008
Isn't it a little early in The Rock's screen career to be going for the cuddly Kindergarten Cop moves of family entertainment? I preferred it when he was just bashing heads in Walking Tall.
Here he plays a moronic NFL superstar drowning in self-love when a precocious eight-year-old shows up on the penthouse doorstep claiming to be his daughter. Cue a painful re-evaluation of priorities as the narcissistic jock swaps football for ballet, and a sports car for a station wagon. Painful, that is, for the audience, obliged to swallow this family-values schmaltz without barfing. Somewhere, another Hollywood exec's guilt is being assuaged for not spending more time at home.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >