The Grey (15)
Starring: Liam Neeson, Dermot Mulroney
Joe Carnahan and Liam Neeson last worked together on The A-Team, so no great hopes were pinned on this tough-guy wilderness yarn.
But it turns out to be a belter. Neeson plays a man whose death wish seems to have been answered when the plane carrying him and other oil-rig roughnecks goes down in the snowy wastes of Alaska. He and a handful of survivors stumble from the wreckage, and soon realise they're not going to be rescued. The cold is bad enough; worse is the local company of wolves, led by a howling alpha wolf that looks about 10ft tall, with fangs like pointed tombstones. Oo-er!
Can Neeson lead his team of freezing comrades out of this barren kill zone? He gets full marks for effort, as do the cast of unknowns and half-forgottens (Dermot Mulroney?) who follow his lead. OK, we could have done without his Irish boozer of a dad's four-line poem (third and fourth line repeated) and the macho cackling in the face of adversity, but within its generic limits it delivers fabulous thrills and some surprisingly noble death scenes.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains