The Knot, Jesse Lawrence, 92mins (15)
Starring: Noel Clarke, Mena Suvari
It may not be the worst British wedding comedy ever – I recall The Wedding Tackle with a shudder – but it's damn close.
Noel Clarke co-writes and stars as best man to Matthew McNulty, whose tying of the knot with Talulah Riley must surmount the supposedly hilarious obstacles of toilet traumas, lost rings, stupid pranks, incompetent groomsmen and emergency bottom-stitching at the hospital (bridesmaid sat on a glass).
In its mash-up of stag'*'hen-night misbehaviour, the film rips off both The Hangover and Bridesmaids, without a shred of either's ingenuity or comic chops.
What's galling is the way it celebrates every last bit of crude and gormless behaviour before inviting us to go "aah" at the sight of bride and groom finally pledging their troth – who could possibly care by this stage? It's like the most inept wedding speech you've ever heard, and it lasts an hour and a half.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >