The Lion King 3D (U)
Voices of: Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons
Can You Feel The Love? Disney are certainly hoping so with this 3D refit of the 1994 animation, which followed on the heels of the far superior Beauty and the Beast.
Three things I didn't notice first time around: 1) The plot is Hamlet in the African Wild, as young lion prince Simba witnesses the murder of his father by wicked uncle Scar. 2) Just how camp is Jeremy Irons voicing of Scar, more Liberace than George Sanders. 3) How insufferable is the portentous rumble of James Earl Jones as Simba's dad Mufasa. This last goes hand-in-paw with the film's rather pious circle-of-life soundtrack – Tim Rice and Elton John wrote the songs – against which the comic trio of hyenas and Nathan Lane's perky meerkat battle valiantly. Huge fun for the kids; some acceptable laughs for the adults.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss