The Lion King 3D (U)
Voices of: Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons
Can You Feel The Love? Disney are certainly hoping so with this 3D refit of the 1994 animation, which followed on the heels of the far superior Beauty and the Beast.
Three things I didn't notice first time around: 1) The plot is Hamlet in the African Wild, as young lion prince Simba witnesses the murder of his father by wicked uncle Scar. 2) Just how camp is Jeremy Irons voicing of Scar, more Liberace than George Sanders. 3) How insufferable is the portentous rumble of James Earl Jones as Simba's dad Mufasa. This last goes hand-in-paw with the film's rather pious circle-of-life soundtrack – Tim Rice and Elton John wrote the songs – against which the comic trio of hyenas and Nathan Lane's perky meerkat battle valiantly. Huge fun for the kids; some acceptable laughs for the adults.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk