The Lion King 3D (U)
Voices of: Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons
Can You Feel The Love? Disney are certainly hoping so with this 3D refit of the 1994 animation, which followed on the heels of the far superior Beauty and the Beast.
Three things I didn't notice first time around: 1) The plot is Hamlet in the African Wild, as young lion prince Simba witnesses the murder of his father by wicked uncle Scar. 2) Just how camp is Jeremy Irons voicing of Scar, more Liberace than George Sanders. 3) How insufferable is the portentous rumble of James Earl Jones as Simba's dad Mufasa. This last goes hand-in-paw with the film's rather pious circle-of-life soundtrack – Tim Rice and Elton John wrote the songs – against which the comic trio of hyenas and Nathan Lane's perky meerkat battle valiantly. Huge fun for the kids; some acceptable laughs for the adults.
Arts & Ents blogs
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron at war with press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.