The Night Of The Hunter: Film review - Laughton handles quintessentially American subject matter in a sensitive fashion
(12) Charles Laughton, 92 mins Starring: Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish
Charles Laughton's superlative film (released in a newly restored version) fits somewhere between Southern Gothic horror, crime thriller, kids' movie and Depression-era morality fable.
In hindsight, it seems remarkable that a Yorkshire-born British actor known for his roaring performances as Henry VIII and Captain Bligh was able to handle quintessentially American subject matter in such sensitive fashion.
He is equally assured in portraying violence and in cranking up the tension in the chase sequences (Robert Mitchum's evil preacher pursuing the two kids down river) and in giving a child's-eye view of the often disturbing events he depicts.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Martin Scorsese 'in shock and sorrow' after death on set of new film Silence
The secret joke hidden in Silence of the Lambs' most famous line
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia