The Rebound (15)
Friday 23 July 2010
Sassy suburban Sandy (Catherine Zeta-Jones) is the perfect 40-year-old Mum, baking cakes, keeping fit and dodging traffic on the school run. Discovering that her husband had been enjoying unscheduled snacks with Molly-next-door, she legs it to New York with her children to start over, where she meets Aram (Justin Bartha), 24, a cute but feckless college grad.
He lacks direction and looks like Mel Gibson's grandson but he's a brilliant nanny. Can you imagine what will happen? Yes, but there are good things in the witty script ("You should do yoga," advises Sandy's friend. "I'd do yoga," says Sandy, "if I could win.") and the physical comedy. There are uncertainties of tone, the children are hideously precocious, and Aram is so wet you could shoot snipe off him. But the film keeps cheesiness at bay until the last 10 minutes – and it's good to find a romcom in which the only Obstacle To Their Happiness is the guy's need to grow up.
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Sir Elton John lashes out at Russia’s anti-gay laws in Moscow show
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >