The Ruins (18)
Friday 20 June 2008
American tourists treating the world as their playground and then being punished for it is now a favourite horror trope. This time we're in Mexico, where a quartet of young holidaymakers have abandoned their hotel pool in favour of visiting some Mayan ruins.
They show their taxi driver the point on the map. "This place – no good," he says, but do they listen? Do they hell. Scott B Smith, adapting from his novel, has some gruesome frights in store as the Americans' day out turns into a survivalist nightmare.
The locals prove hostile – no change, there – and the indigenous flora doesn't look too friendly, either. Jena Malone is the cast's ace, though one wonders what she saw in the script to test her considerable talent – surely not the scenes of DIY surgery?
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes