The Tale of Despereaux (U)
This pleasantish family animation recounts the tale of a large-eared mouse (voiced by Matthew Broderick) whose fearlessness confounds his family and gets him banished from the murine community, on the grounds that you can't be a proper mouse if you don't scurry and cower.
He fetches up in the darker subterranean Ratworld, which resembles Kurtz's jungle hideout in Apocalypse Now, and stages gladiatorial games where mice are thrown to outsize moggies. A nice touch. Meanwhile there's a princess pining away in the castle upstairs, and a king who mourns the death of his queen following a nasty soup incident. A long story, and one more likely to work its charm on kids than on their parents.
Arts & Ents blogs
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.