The Watch (15)
The talents of Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill and the British comedian Richard Ayoade are largely wasted in Akiva Schaffer's crude and charmless comedy about four citizens in Glenview, Ohio, who form a neighbourhood watch.
Soon, they come face-to-face with invading aliens. Stiller brings his usual scowling energy to his role as Evan Trautwig, the manager of the local Costco store who forms the group after a security guard is murdered. Ayoade is charming and offbeat and Hill and Vaughn both have their moments.
However, the attempt at mixing buddy movie and sci-fi conventions simply doesn't work. The plotting is so haphazard and the dialogue so tin-eared that this soon becomes a very painful watch indeed.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes