Waste Land (PG)
Starring: Vik Muniz
Friday 25 February 2011
Jardim Gramacho is a gigantic landfill dump on the edge of Rio de Janeiro, "a city of garbage", which the artist Vik Muniz visited and photographed in this intriguing documentary.
Muniz's plan is to put together portraits of various catadores (refuse pickers) using recycled garbage as his material. The heartwarming part of it is that the artist, himself once as impoverished as these workers, will turn the proceeds over to the local community. Lucy Walker, a London documentarist, uncovers a near-Dickensian world of indigence and hears horrific stories from the mountains of rubbish – one young woman tells of finding a dead baby. The glimpses of favela life will make you thank your lucky stars you weren't born there.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >