X-Men First Class (12A)
Starring: James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne, Michael Fassbender
Friday 03 June 2011
In which the X-Men saga is traced back to its origins, and we learn how Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart became friends before falling out over the small matter of world domination.
James McAvoy plays Professor X, rather smarmily, but Michael Fassbender is good value as Erik, aka Magneto, traumatised by Nazi experiments in the camps and determined to hunt down the evil scientist (Kevin Bacon) who murdered his mother. Amid marvels of telepathy and teleportation, the film's basic premise is that the X-Men did nothing less than save the world during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Not "First Class", but it's OK. A pity, all the same, that promising young actors such as Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone) and Nicholas Hoult have been burdened with silly characters and even sillier make-up.
Arts & Ents blogs
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >