First Call, Last Call
Wednesday 20 January 1999
FOLLOWING A SERIES of sell-out stand-up shows at the Edinburgh Festival in recent years, Aussie comedian Mark Little (right) turns his attention to the battle of the sexes. The ex-Neighbours actor's latest venture is to bring Rob Becker's one-man comedy show, Defending the Caveman, to London. In this West End transfer, Little demonstrates a witty catalogue of recognisable human traits, which, some would say, have remained unchanged since prehistoric times.
Apollo Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, London SW1 (0171-494 5070) opens 9 Feb
BLACK STAR LINER are widely acknowledged as an up-and-coming Asian band. The Leeds-based trio took their name from a passenger shipping company, set up by Marcus Garvey in the 1940s, which aimed to provide black Americans with a free passage to Africa. Their music is an adventure in modern sound, using an invigorating mix of deep dub basslines with more traditional Punjab cross-rhythms and chants.
Loughborough University (01509 632011) tomorrow; Honey Club, Brighton (0990 344444) 24 Jan; Jazz Cafe, London NW1 (0171-344 0044) 25 Jan
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling