First Call, Last Call
Wednesday 20 January 1999
FOLLOWING A SERIES of sell-out stand-up shows at the Edinburgh Festival in recent years, Aussie comedian Mark Little (right) turns his attention to the battle of the sexes. The ex-Neighbours actor's latest venture is to bring Rob Becker's one-man comedy show, Defending the Caveman, to London. In this West End transfer, Little demonstrates a witty catalogue of recognisable human traits, which, some would say, have remained unchanged since prehistoric times.
Apollo Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, London SW1 (0171-494 5070) opens 9 Feb
BLACK STAR LINER are widely acknowledged as an up-and-coming Asian band. The Leeds-based trio took their name from a passenger shipping company, set up by Marcus Garvey in the 1940s, which aimed to provide black Americans with a free passage to Africa. Their music is an adventure in modern sound, using an invigorating mix of deep dub basslines with more traditional Punjab cross-rhythms and chants.
Loughborough University (01509 632011) tomorrow; Honey Club, Brighton (0990 344444) 24 Jan; Jazz Cafe, London NW1 (0171-344 0044) 25 Jan
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park