First Call, Last Call
Thursday 11 March 1999
ONLY A few weeks after the sudden break-up of The Seahorses, guitarist Chris Helme has announced a live solo date. Considered to be one of the most talented members of the band, alongside frontman and ex-Stone Roses member John Squire, it is less well-known that Helme wrote three Seahorses tracks, including the hit single "Blinded by the Sun". His acoustic shows should see more folk influences let loose along with his new material.
The Improv Club, Tottenham Court Road, London W1 (0171-287 0932) 23 Mar
THIS IS your last chance to wave the red flag before Vassa, directed by Howard Davies, ends its run. An inspired cast supports Sheila Hancock (right) as Gorky's steely matriarch, the backbone of an early 20th-century Russian family, whose subordinate relatives hang off her like dislocated limbs. This is a domestic drama with a wider Bolshevik agenda. The simultaneous deconstruction of capitalist values and the guilty admiration of Vassa's ruthlessness proves to have broader implications for the family echoing the future of Soviet politics.
Albery Theatre, London WC2 (0171-369 1730) to 27 Mar
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >