First Call, Last Call
Thursday 18 June 1998
STEVEN BERKOFF (right) brings his latest one-man show to the West End. Berkoff will take centre stage with a white spotlight thrust upon his expressive face. He is to explore the darkness in Shakespeare's baddies in "Shakespeare's Villains; a Masterclass in Evil". It should appear less Berkoff miming and more Iago, Mr and Mrs Macbeth and Hamlet all nattering at once.
Theatre Royal, Haymarket, London SW1 (0171-930 8800) from 30 June for six weeks only, pounds 8-pounds 17.50.
TICKETS TO see comedian Lee Hurst are selling like mad. The quick-fire comic is best known as the bald one from They Think It's All Over. Hurst's 10 years on the circuit have honed wisecracks and one-liners to side- splitting sharpness. Don't miss out.
Wyvern Theatre, Swindon (01793 535534) 15 Oct; Corn Exchange, Cambridge (01223 457555) 23 Oct; Pavilion Theatre, Bournemouth (01202 456456) 29 Oct, Corn Exchange, Cambridge (01223 457555) 30 Oct; Regent Theatre, Ipswich (01473 215544) 3 Nov; Assembly Rooms, Derby (01332 255443) 5 Nov; Colston Hall, Bristol (0117- 922 3682) 15 Nov; Civic Hall, Wolverhampton (01902 552121) 16 Nov.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world