First Call, Last Call
Tuesday 18 August 1998
THE DARK TURN taken by This is Hardcore, the third album from Pulp (right), has done little to affect the band's ability to grab attention - mostly due to the camp showmanship of frontman Jarvis Cocker. Seeing Pulp live may be more cabaret than rock'n'roll, but they are a gutsy breath of fresh air. Hot on the heels of their sold-out London show at Finsbury Park last month, they have just announced a 12-date autumn UK tour.
Wembley Arena, London (0181-902 0902) 19 Nov; Hull Arena (01482 325252) 28 Nov; SECC, Glasgow (0141-287 7777) 29 Nov; Cardiff International Arena (01222 224488) 1 Dec; Bournemouth International Centre (01202 456456) 5 Dec
REGENT'S PARK in London hosts Alan Strachen's directorial debut with the New Shakespeare Company in the Bard's Troilus and Cressida. The tragi- comic love story tells of betrayal and the brutality during the Siege of Troy. Robert Hands plays Troilus with Rebecca Johnson as Cressida. Now balmy evenings should ease the chill of one of Shakespeare's most cynical plays.
Open Air Theatre, Inner Circle, Regent's Park, London NW1 (0171-486 2431), pounds 8-pounds 20, to 3 Sept
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action