First Call, Last Call
Tuesday 18 August 1998
THE DARK TURN taken by This is Hardcore, the third album from Pulp (right), has done little to affect the band's ability to grab attention - mostly due to the camp showmanship of frontman Jarvis Cocker. Seeing Pulp live may be more cabaret than rock'n'roll, but they are a gutsy breath of fresh air. Hot on the heels of their sold-out London show at Finsbury Park last month, they have just announced a 12-date autumn UK tour.
Wembley Arena, London (0181-902 0902) 19 Nov; Hull Arena (01482 325252) 28 Nov; SECC, Glasgow (0141-287 7777) 29 Nov; Cardiff International Arena (01222 224488) 1 Dec; Bournemouth International Centre (01202 456456) 5 Dec
REGENT'S PARK in London hosts Alan Strachen's directorial debut with the New Shakespeare Company in the Bard's Troilus and Cressida. The tragi- comic love story tells of betrayal and the brutality during the Siege of Troy. Robert Hands plays Troilus with Rebecca Johnson as Cressida. Now balmy evenings should ease the chill of one of Shakespeare's most cynical plays.
Open Air Theatre, Inner Circle, Regent's Park, London NW1 (0171-486 2431), pounds 8-pounds 20, to 3 Sept
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture