First Call, Last Call
Wednesday 11 November 1998
A COUPLE of months ago, Sir Ian McKellen took a bold step in announcing that he may never act in London again - some of the capital's theatres "betray the soul of acting," he said. As a result, Leeds is currently blessed with one of Britain's finest classical actors. In Noel Coward's Present Laughter, McKellen portrays a great actor who gives his finest performances off-stage in his whirlwind social life. Malcolm Sutherland directs.
West Yorkshire Playhouse, Leeds (0113-244 2111) opens 10 Dec
ONCE BLESSED with a die-hard following, Bristol hip-hop crew Massive Attack (right) look to be losing their fanatical fan base. After some well-publicised angst, and having taken time out to produce their third album, Mezzanine, which met with mixed reviews, Massive Attack have denied rumours of a split. Even so, with their clutch of seminal tracks, the band will have no trouble attracting a hip crowd to their forthcoming gigs.
Sheffield Arena (01142 565656) 3 Dec; Cardiff International Arena (01222 224488) 7 Dec; Birmingham NEC (0121-780 4133) 9 Dec, Bournemouth IC (01202 456456) 12 Dec
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >