FIVE BEST PLAYS
Sunday 03 December 1995
THE PHOENICIAN WOMEN. Euripides emerges as a thoroughly modern tragedian in Katie Mitchell's powerfully spare production. Stratford Other Place (01789 295623), in rep to Jan. Tues, Thurs, Fri 7.30-9.30. M: Thurs 1.30- 3.30.
MOTHER COURAGE AND HER CHILDREN. Towering performance from Diana Rigg in David Hare's superbly combative version of Brecht. Olivier, SE1 (0171 928 2252), in rep to Jan. Thurs-Sat 7.15-10. M: Sat 2.00.
THE GLASS MENAGERIE. West End transfer for Sam Mendes's production, with Zoe Wanamaker and the teriffic Claire Skinner. Comedy, SW1 (0171 369 1731), to 16 Mar. Thurs-Sat 7.30-10. M: Sat 3.00.
THREE TALL WOMEN. Maggie Smith is triumphant again in Edward Albee's comeback. Wyndham's, WC2 (0171 369 1736), to 16 Dec. Tues-Sat 8.00-10.00. M: Wed & Sat 3.00. Robert Butler
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Pride: Are US film censors pandering to homophobia?
Kylie Minogue Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican named highest-selling female comedians
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >