Fringe: The Story of the Fallen Hero In Guandaline
Wednesday 13 August 1997
The Story of the Fallen Hero
In Guandaline Sagliocco's self-consciously theatrical take on the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece, a plucky but naive Olympian servant girl, Nanny, is struck with compassion as her mistresses toy with the young hero's destiny.
As well as her mischievous, humane Nanny, Sagliocco employs the most precise of gestures to conjure up a gallery of pleasingly fallible Olympian women - the bimbo-ish Aphrodite, the butch Athena and a Joan Crawfordesque Hera with an Eartha Kitt growl - which complements the swathes of Mediterranean texture and light to produce a series of vivid tableaux.
Nanny's helpless viewpoint strips Jason's tragic existence of its action- packed veneer to reveal the spiteful origins and terrible consequences of heavenly meddling. Nowhere does this production reveal its depth more eloquently than in its vision of the silent grief of Medea, a crumpled puppet, part manipulated by Nanny, part consoled.
Venue 34, The Famous Grouse House, to 30 Aug (not 18, 26), 7.45pm (0131- 220 5606)
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers