Gardening: Weekend Work
SURPLUS SHOOTS on fig trees can be cut out entirely now. They are over- enthusiastic growers and generally need some thinning. The fruit is borne on the young growth and these shoots should be stopped at four leaves, by nipping off the end of the fruit-bearing shoots.
BAY TREES grown as standards or pyramids need clipping to shape once or twice during the summer. Keep the leaves (pictured) for cooking. Remove any suckers that spring up from the base of standard bays.
PYRACANTHAS GROWN as free-standing bushes need no regular pruning, though you may need to contain their spread by occasionally taking out an entire branch. Wall-trained specimens will need thinning now. Trim away any growth that you do not want to tie in. Pyracantha hedges should be trimmed to shape once they have finished flowering.
SOME OF the early brooms, such as the gorgeous lemon-flowered Cytisus praecox, need trimming over as soon as they have finished flowering. Use shears, but do not cut back into the old buff-coloured wood. Genista can be treated in the same way.
PRUNE LEGGY mahonias by cutting back one or two of the tallest stems by half. Sometimes the mahonia's height is an advantage, looming up at the back of a border. If it is not, you know what to do.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Sir Elton John lashes out at Russia’s anti-gay laws in Moscow show
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Grace Dent on TV: Imagine – Who’s Afraid of Machiavelli?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >