Going off the rails, and other stories: Penelope Mortimer's tale
Saturday 12 June 1993
'I said: 'What about the disks, are they still there?' I'd been working on About Time Too, the second volume of my autobiography and everything was on disk. I came home, dashed in. No disks. More than three year's work down the drain.
'Despair totally set in. I just couldn't face the idea of starting from scratch. That was Thursday. The next Wednesday through the letterbox came two exceptionally neatly wrapped packets.
'I opened them and there was every single disk returned. Not only that but the thieves had copied on to a lovely bright red floppy affair everything that was on the hard disk and called it 'Penelope's Work'.
'I was so happy, grateful and relieved that I really didn't give a damn about the word-processor.'
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing