GOING OUT : THE FIVE BEST PLAYS
Sunday 19 November 1995
THE CHERRY ORCHARD. Adrian Noble's stunning version of Chekhov's masterpiece. With Penelope Wilton and Josie Lawrence. Stratford Swan (01789 295623) in rep to Jan. Mon 7.30-10.10.
THE PHOENICIAN WOMEN. Euripides emerges as a thoroughly modern tragedian in Katie Mitchell's powerfully spare production. Stratford Other Place (01789 295623) in rep to Jan. M: Thurs 1.30-3.30.
RUPERT STREET LONELY HEARTS CLUB. Jonathan Harvey's latest has a sitcom setting but turns out to be very funny and moving. Donmar, WC2 (0171 369 1732). LAST CHANCE (ends Sat). Mon-Sat 8.00-10.20. M: Thurs & Sat 4.00.
THREE TALL WOMEN. Maggie Smith is triumphant again in Edward Albee's comeback. Wyndham's, WC2 (0171 369 1736) to 16 Dec. Tues-Sat 8.00-10.00. M: Wed & Sat 3.00. Irving Wardle and Robert Butler
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 4 Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
Best TV shows on Netflix: 26 series to binge on
Led Zeppelin to release alternative Stairway To Heaven after 43 years
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Freddie Prinze Jr on 24: 'Kiefer Sutherland was the most unprofessional dude in the world – I hated every moment of it'
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >