Health: Got a Problem? What to Do

Click to follow
IF YOU want to make a complaint about a hospital doctor through the NHS complaints system, you can speak to the hospital staff at the time the problem arises, or speak or write to the hospital's complaints manager.

If you want to complain about your GP, you can speak to any member of staff at the surgery about how to use their own complaints system, or you can take your comments to the complaints manager at the local health authority board.

However, you can complain to the General Medical Council - the disciplinary body for the medical profession - even if you have not complained first to your GP or health authority.

Contact the General Medical Council by telephone on 0171-580 7642 or write to 178 Great Portland Street, London W1N 6JE.

The GMC's website gives further details about complaints procedures: