Independent Pursuits: Bridge
Friday 27 November 1998
"I opened a 12-14 no-trump with the South hand, West doubled, and all passed. West led 46 and, hoping for the best, I tried dummy's 4Q. When this held, I was able to finesse in clubs and take five tricks in the suit. I think that minus 100 must have been a top."
Then they turned to the third player who looked even smugger than the second. "I also played in 1NT doubled and got the same led of 46. But I played low from dummy and won East's nine with my king. Then I led 410, and West, after brooding for a bit, ducked. Dummy's queen won, and now the five club tricks gave me my contract!"
That was certainly a top, although en route declarer had risked a vast penalty. There were two points of technical interest - clearly East-West would have done better to go for their vulnerable game rather than take the 500 points that best defence would have given them. And, in the play, East's contribution of 49 at trick 1 was rather futile. He would have done better to follow with 42 to suggest three cards in the suit rather than a possible doubleton.
East-West game; dealer South
4Q 8 5 4
!8 7 2
#9 5 3
26 4 2
4A J 7 6 49 3 2
!A Q 10 !K 9 4 3
#A Q J #K 8 7 6
210 8 7 2K 9
!J 6 5
#10 4 2
2A Q J 5 3
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage