Independent Pursuits: Puzzle
Wednesday 10 June 1998
I'm afraid the mission was impossible. The local takeaway could offer me only boxes of six, nine or 20 chicken pieces and there was no way I could make up exactly the required number of pieces in such combinations.
The odd thing was, though, that if there had been any greater number of people at the party, I would have been able to bring them back exactly one piece each.
How many people were at the party? (Answer tomorrow).
This is the first in a new series of daily puzzles, old and new, that will appear in this space. If you have any favourite puzzles you would like to inflict on a wider audience, we shall be happy to consider them at: Puzzles, The Independent, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >