Independent Pursuits: Puzzle
Thursday 18 June 1998
Four men have to cross a river. There is only one boat, and it will hold only two at a time. The boat will not go across the river on its own. Because the men are of vastly different bulk, the time they take to cross the river varies. From slowest to fastest they take 10, 5, 2 and 1 minute respectively. When two are together, the boat crosses at the rate of the slower. What is the shortest time it takes to get all four across the river? (Answer tomorrow).
Yesterday's answer: (brackets indicate weights in same scale)
1. (R1+B1) : (R2+W1)
If they balance, try: (B2) : (W2). One will be heavier, if B2, then B2, R1 and W1 are the heavy balls.
If the first weighing does not balance, try: (B1) : (W2). The result will enable everything to be deduced.
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Disney announces new female-led film Moana
Eight seconds of white noise is top of the Canadian iTunes chart because people love Taylor Swift that much
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Sensitive, silly and sensational