Independent Pursuits: Puzzle
Thursday 18 June 1998
Four men have to cross a river. There is only one boat, and it will hold only two at a time. The boat will not go across the river on its own. Because the men are of vastly different bulk, the time they take to cross the river varies. From slowest to fastest they take 10, 5, 2 and 1 minute respectively. When two are together, the boat crosses at the rate of the slower. What is the shortest time it takes to get all four across the river? (Answer tomorrow).
Yesterday's answer: (brackets indicate weights in same scale)
1. (R1+B1) : (R2+W1)
If they balance, try: (B2) : (W2). One will be heavier, if B2, then B2, R1 and W1 are the heavy balls.
If the first weighing does not balance, try: (B1) : (W2). The result will enable everything to be deduced.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.