Independent Pursuits: Puzzle
Thursday 18 June 1998
Four men have to cross a river. There is only one boat, and it will hold only two at a time. The boat will not go across the river on its own. Because the men are of vastly different bulk, the time they take to cross the river varies. From slowest to fastest they take 10, 5, 2 and 1 minute respectively. When two are together, the boat crosses at the rate of the slower. What is the shortest time it takes to get all four across the river? (Answer tomorrow).
Yesterday's answer: (brackets indicate weights in same scale)
1. (R1+B1) : (R2+W1)
If they balance, try: (B2) : (W2). One will be heavier, if B2, then B2, R1 and W1 are the heavy balls.
If the first weighing does not balance, try: (B1) : (W2). The result will enable everything to be deduced.
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts