Latitude 2013: Five minutes with... Drenge
Wednesday 20 March 2013
Peak District two-piece Drenge play filthy blues rock with the force of a band with twice the number of arms. They're also playing Latitude this year.
1. Which latitude are you on right now?
Sleepy, we've had some chicken soup after a day in the studio messing around with lots of old gizmos and wizardry at our mate's practice space.
2. Sum up what you do for us in one sentence for anyone who might not know…
We play fraternal punk rock on guitar and drums and there are only two of us and we have fun.
3. What’s the best thing about performing live?
Meeting new people and allowing them to form an opinion on your music, either positive or negative. That, or finishing a song and being met with stunned silence.
4. Do you have any pre-show rituals?
Apart from the old vocal/drumming warm-ups, writing a setlist, tuning the guitar and doing a line check? No. We can't even remember to do all of the above.
5. What’s your best festival story for us? The stranger the better!
The only festival story that I have is that I ate an egg and bacon bap from a van and the lady mumbled something as she handed it over to me. I bit straight in. Yolky all over my batman t-shirt! She looked a me and said "I told you to watch out for the yolk" then she turn around and carried on flipping burgers. The end.
6. Tell us a something you’ve never told an interviewer before…
My first guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica, and although we don't see that much of each other now, she lies, like an angel, on my pillow.
7. What’s your signature cooking dish?
This Mexican dish that kicks ass. It's like avocado and cheese backed in tortillas with tommy sauce (no ketchup). If I'm feeling lazy I'll pop a wad of pineapple and avocado on a pizza. I hated avocado as a kid, so I've recently discovered her with open arms.
8. What book/film/record etc. changed your life and why?
Control by Corbijn. Leaves me absolutely numb, time after time.
9. Knock knock, who’s there?
Doorbell sales assistant? ...idk.
10. And lastly, summarise Latitude in three words
BRAND NEW EXPERIENCE!
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Secret Cinema: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Standing my ground: If sitting is bad for your health, what happens when you stay on your feet for a whole month?
Secret Cinema: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
Game of Thrones season 4 blooper reel unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Doctor Who series 8: Watch Peter Capaldi in new ‘Listen!’ teaser trailer
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc