Watch an exclusive Liz Green video right here
Wednesday 06 June 2012
Tragi-comic pop artist Liz Green is, according to family lore, descended from a Liverpool line that includes executioners and rag-and-bone men. She's also a highlight of this year's Latitude festival.
She's kindly let us premier this video of one of her best songs right here. In fact, we like her so much, we've decided to interview her
1. What latitude are you on right now?
It's a bit more of a longitude. Specifically the two-hours-and-eight-minutes longitude that runs on rails between London and Manchester.
2. Who’s your must-see performance at Latitude this year?
Janelle Monae. I saw her Glastonbury performance on the telly and it blew me away. I can't wait to see her for real. Like the lovechild of Prince and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. She's that good. And then some.
3. If any artist could do a guest appearance with you at Latitude who would that be and why?
Josh T. Pearson. I think we could do some good old blues duetting.
4. Tell us a surprising fact about you
I'm an RAF marksman.
5. What’s been your weirdest festival experience?
The time I saw the naked man (save a tiny pair of y-fronts) rolling round in a man-sized hamster wheel occasionally stopping to scream "I am the rat man!" at bemused teenage goths. I'm not entirely sure if he was real or a construct of my subconscious.
6. Summarise Latitude in seven words.
I'm not good at this sort of thing. I could be here for the next seven years trying to do it. So i think I'll just send the questionnaire back before we enter the next ice age.
7. Fill in the gap, “Baa baa Latitude sheep, have you any ______ ?"
8. Tell us a bit more about what we can expect from your performance at Latitude?
Oh it'll be as ramshackle as ever. But I have some ideas about homemade stage props... bedsheets and giant birds with glowing eyes (don't hold me to this - my mind's eye is more ambitious than my practical brain can cope with). Other than that I'll just be playing some music.
9. What else are you working on at the moment?
The difficult second album.
10. What does 2013 hold for you?
Not sure. I haven't bought the diary yet.
See you at Latitude!
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
North London meets The Exorcist in eerie suburban drama
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 2 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 5 YouTube social experiment shows just how easy it is to kidnap a child
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
X-Men Apocalypse: First look at Jubilee and Jean Grey played by Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner
American Horror Story: Hotel Angela Bassett set to make 'lots of trouble' with Lady Gaga in season 5
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 4 - review: Sansa is in danger of becoming another footnote in Westeros' bloody history
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils