Watch an exclusive Liz Green video right here
Wednesday 06 June 2012
Tragi-comic pop artist Liz Green is, according to family lore, descended from a Liverpool line that includes executioners and rag-and-bone men. She's also a highlight of this year's Latitude festival.
She's kindly let us premier this video of one of her best songs right here. In fact, we like her so much, we've decided to interview her
1. What latitude are you on right now?
It's a bit more of a longitude. Specifically the two-hours-and-eight-minutes longitude that runs on rails between London and Manchester.
2. Who’s your must-see performance at Latitude this year?
Janelle Monae. I saw her Glastonbury performance on the telly and it blew me away. I can't wait to see her for real. Like the lovechild of Prince and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. She's that good. And then some.
3. If any artist could do a guest appearance with you at Latitude who would that be and why?
Josh T. Pearson. I think we could do some good old blues duetting.
4. Tell us a surprising fact about you
I'm an RAF marksman.
5. What’s been your weirdest festival experience?
The time I saw the naked man (save a tiny pair of y-fronts) rolling round in a man-sized hamster wheel occasionally stopping to scream "I am the rat man!" at bemused teenage goths. I'm not entirely sure if he was real or a construct of my subconscious.
6. Summarise Latitude in seven words.
I'm not good at this sort of thing. I could be here for the next seven years trying to do it. So i think I'll just send the questionnaire back before we enter the next ice age.
7. Fill in the gap, “Baa baa Latitude sheep, have you any ______ ?"
8. Tell us a bit more about what we can expect from your performance at Latitude?
Oh it'll be as ramshackle as ever. But I have some ideas about homemade stage props... bedsheets and giant birds with glowing eyes (don't hold me to this - my mind's eye is more ambitious than my practical brain can cope with). Other than that I'll just be playing some music.
9. What else are you working on at the moment?
The difficult second album.
10. What does 2013 hold for you?
Not sure. I haven't bought the diary yet.
See you at Latitude!
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Secret Cinema interview: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
Secret Cinema interview: Why were Back to the Future screenings cancelled?
Game of Thrones: season 4 bloopers unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
50 best running songs: From Avicii and Pharrell Williams to the classic 'Eye of the Tiger'
Doctor Who series 8: Watch Peter Capaldi in new ‘Listen!’ teaser trailer
Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia