Watch an exclusive Liz Green video right here
Wednesday 06 June 2012
Tragi-comic pop artist Liz Green is, according to family lore, descended from a Liverpool line that includes executioners and rag-and-bone men. She's also a highlight of this year's Latitude festival.
She's kindly let us premier this video of one of her best songs right here. In fact, we like her so much, we've decided to interview her
1. What latitude are you on right now?
It's a bit more of a longitude. Specifically the two-hours-and-eight-minutes longitude that runs on rails between London and Manchester.
2. Who’s your must-see performance at Latitude this year?
Janelle Monae. I saw her Glastonbury performance on the telly and it blew me away. I can't wait to see her for real. Like the lovechild of Prince and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. She's that good. And then some.
3. If any artist could do a guest appearance with you at Latitude who would that be and why?
Josh T. Pearson. I think we could do some good old blues duetting.
4. Tell us a surprising fact about you
I'm an RAF marksman.
5. What’s been your weirdest festival experience?
The time I saw the naked man (save a tiny pair of y-fronts) rolling round in a man-sized hamster wheel occasionally stopping to scream "I am the rat man!" at bemused teenage goths. I'm not entirely sure if he was real or a construct of my subconscious.
6. Summarise Latitude in seven words.
I'm not good at this sort of thing. I could be here for the next seven years trying to do it. So i think I'll just send the questionnaire back before we enter the next ice age.
7. Fill in the gap, “Baa baa Latitude sheep, have you any ______ ?"
8. Tell us a bit more about what we can expect from your performance at Latitude?
Oh it'll be as ramshackle as ever. But I have some ideas about homemade stage props... bedsheets and giant birds with glowing eyes (don't hold me to this - my mind's eye is more ambitious than my practical brain can cope with). Other than that I'll just be playing some music.
9. What else are you working on at the moment?
The difficult second album.
10. What does 2013 hold for you?
Not sure. I haven't bought the diary yet.
See you at Latitude!
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Christmas 2014: The three most intriguing celebrity panto appearances
Lee Evans announces his retirement from comedy on The Jonathan Ross Show
Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage from Lana Del Rey rape video
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track