Watch an exclusive Liz Green video right here
Wednesday 06 June 2012
Tragi-comic pop artist Liz Green is, according to family lore, descended from a Liverpool line that includes executioners and rag-and-bone men. She's also a highlight of this year's Latitude festival.
She's kindly let us premier this video of one of her best songs right here. In fact, we like her so much, we've decided to interview her
1. What latitude are you on right now?
It's a bit more of a longitude. Specifically the two-hours-and-eight-minutes longitude that runs on rails between London and Manchester.
2. Who’s your must-see performance at Latitude this year?
Janelle Monae. I saw her Glastonbury performance on the telly and it blew me away. I can't wait to see her for real. Like the lovechild of Prince and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. She's that good. And then some.
3. If any artist could do a guest appearance with you at Latitude who would that be and why?
Josh T. Pearson. I think we could do some good old blues duetting.
4. Tell us a surprising fact about you
I'm an RAF marksman.
5. What’s been your weirdest festival experience?
The time I saw the naked man (save a tiny pair of y-fronts) rolling round in a man-sized hamster wheel occasionally stopping to scream "I am the rat man!" at bemused teenage goths. I'm not entirely sure if he was real or a construct of my subconscious.
6. Summarise Latitude in seven words.
I'm not good at this sort of thing. I could be here for the next seven years trying to do it. So i think I'll just send the questionnaire back before we enter the next ice age.
7. Fill in the gap, “Baa baa Latitude sheep, have you any ______ ?"
8. Tell us a bit more about what we can expect from your performance at Latitude?
Oh it'll be as ramshackle as ever. But I have some ideas about homemade stage props... bedsheets and giant birds with glowing eyes (don't hold me to this - my mind's eye is more ambitious than my practical brain can cope with). Other than that I'll just be playing some music.
9. What else are you working on at the moment?
The difficult second album.
10. What does 2013 hold for you?
Not sure. I haven't bought the diary yet.
See you at Latitude!
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 3 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks busy Dublin road
- 5 'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
Artist Jamie McCartney: How The Great Wall of Vagina is a stand against 'body fascism'
Cilla Black: Her 12 best songs, from 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' to 'You're My World'
Michael B Jordan and Kate Mara handle excruciatingly awkward and offensive interview questions like pros
Game of Thrones season 6: 'A Song of Ice and Fire should be finished by 1998,' said George R. R. Martin, 'but don't hold your breath'
Sherlock season 4: Benedict Cumberbatch will be 'a lot less brattish' in Victorian special
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality