Thursday 12 November 1998
Mr Bhatt said that the four had already worked as a team at Birnberg, and, as equal partners in the new firm, "are a smaller and tighter outfit, who want to continue our work with people who fall victim to abuse of power within the criminal justice system".
Benedict Birnberg said that the firm still had nine assistant solicitors and that the move was amicable, adding: "This sort of thing happens in solicitors' firms, particularly in view of the meltdown happening with legal aid."
EVERSHEDS, THE national law firm is believed to be in talks with Bristol law firm Veale Wasbrough. If the talks are successful, it will be Eversheds' fourth major merger in the last 18 months. It has taken over the Newcastle firm, Wilkinson Maughan, half of the City firm, Frere Cholmeley Bischoff, and the Cambridge firm, Palmer Wheeldon. Eversheds is also planning an office in Scotland.
MILLS & REEVE, the East Anglian law firm, has taken over niche healthcare firm The Lewington Partnership. The move makes Mills & Reeve one of the country's largest healthcare practices, with more than 75 lawyers specialising in that area.#
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians