Leading Article: Celebrity countdown
Wednesday 15 September 1999
It's easy to blame Ronald Reagan, the first Hollywood President, for all this. But, in an age when so many people value style over content, it is little wonder that people are losing their respect for politicians. And it is not just a US phenomenon; look at the way the London mayoral race is descending into a game of celebrity countdown.
Politics cannot be a branch of show business - but, so far, only Warren Beatty seems to have recognised this. Help!
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election