Leading article: It's the Wheel thing
Saturday 04 December 1999
There were, we remember, those who affected knowing smiles when that cable snapped and the mighty wheel lay forlorn on its side, but we knew better; we knew that this project had the support of Miss Joanna Lumley. But even that crucial factor cannot be all of it.
What, exactly, is the Secret of the Wheel? And why hasn't the Dome got it? Not everyone can be taken by the fine irony of its sponsorship by British Airways. And can it really be a primal existential urge to demonstrate the pointlessness of life, and our affinity with the hamster, by taking a trip that goes nowhere?
One thing, though, is certain: if John Prescott can work it out, his troubles with transport are over.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election