Leading Article: Ministers are speeding in the wrong direction
Monday 20 September 1999
And this after William Hague has already started to exploit the Conservatives' traditional stance as the party of the motor car.
This is not just politically unwise; it is the wrong direction for policy on road safety. Toughen up the driving test. Stop drivers using mobile phones. But for goodness' sake let us stop wasting police time trying to enforce speed limits that everyone regards as flexible guidelines.
There are places where a maximum speed as low as 20mph is desirable, and should be enforced by speed humps. But there are plenty of places, and Britain's very safe motorways are some of them, where any kind of speed limit is unnecessary, and where the abolition of speed limits would free the police to catch those who drive dangerously at whatever speed.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore disappears over Java Sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
The Interview finally gets US release after Sony hack and terror threats – but reviews of North Korea satire are mixed
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk