Leading Article: Peering ahead
Thursday 02 December 1999
Frankly, though, if we were a Lord, we would not be that enthusiastic. The best club in London is not what it was. Unfortunately, it's much the same elsewhere, too. Gone are the days when someone like Lord Glasgow could hurl a waiter out of his club's window and then bark: "Put him on the bill."
We would urge the nobility to be a little more adventurous: the Met Bar, for example, is having a bit of a membership shake-up. Or perhaps it's time to revive the Pelican Club, where a member, accused of throwing the boar's head which had knocked a peer senseless into the fireplace, replied indignantly: "Nonsense. It couldn't have been me. I've thrown nothing but jelly all evening." That's more like it.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >