Letter: A Serbian Hitler?
Friday 23 April 1999
So who did order the expulsion if not the head of the Croatian state, Franjo Tudjman, a man who denies the Holocaust, fixes elections and wraps himself in the flag of the wartime Ustasha regime which murdered over 600,000 Serbs, Jews and Gypsies?
Rival nationalisms have fought in the Balkans for over 120 years. Each, at successive times, has been the victim and the jailer of others.
Great Powers have intervened, claiming to back the underdog, further poisoning relations between the Balkan peoples.
All the Balkan nationalists appeal to their own selective histories for legitimacy.
This is the "infernal game". Academics and journalists should explain it and not join in.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
David Bowie premieres politically-charged music video for ‘I’d Rather Be High’
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration