Letter: Abortion: GPs' duty
Saturday 26 June 1999
Sir: I was disturbed to read the report about the Marie Stopes survey (23 June) which states that the majority of doctors think there is not a need for them to be involved in abortion decisions up to 14 weeks. It is very important that doctors are involved in a decision which will end in the death of one of their patients.
Marie Stopes doesn't appear to appreciate that GPs are allowed to have objections to abortion and are not there merely to rubber-stamp a decision. From my experience as a nurse, the most sympathetic GPs are those who care for both patients in front of them - the mother and her child.
Many women suffer badly from post-abortion syndrome. They need our care and support as much as those women who are in a crisis pregnancy.
MORAG A BUCHAN
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 The Gaza fisherman who built his own reef - and was shot dead there by an Israeli gunboat
Cassetteboy joins forces with Russell Brand for Emperor's New Clothes film
Poldark, review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Louis Theroux: By Reason of Insanity, TV review: The affable Englishman routine is wearing a bit thin
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew