Letter: After Lawrence
Thursday 04 March 1999
Sir: Kate Watson-Smyth attributes to me the statement that "the people living there were of the same race". ("Celts were `really just a Scotch myth' ", 27 February). I did not in fact use the word "race" and I clarified my position by saying, "No, I am not talking about biological race but about shared cultural features, language etc."
Ms Watson-Smyth seems fairly typical amongst journalists, both print and broadcast, in being unable to distinguish between "race" and "ethnicity". The media, as much as anyone must bear the responsibility for crimes such as the killing of Stephen Lawrence.
Lecturer in Celtic and Early Scottish History and Culture
University of Edinburgh
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove