Letter: After Saddam
Wednesday 30 December 1998
The US and Britain should have spent 10 per cent of the bombing cost on Iraqi opposition groups to encourage them to unite to help overthrow Saddam and establish a democratic government.
Bombing Iraq will not harm Saddam, it will only bring misery to the Iraqi people. Saddam will rebuild his arms supplies and his military power, and will continue to do so for years to come. This will also result in more bombings and additional suffering for the Iraqi people. By this bombing, have we really achieved anything other than the slaughter of innocent Iraqi lives? The only way to remove the weapons of mass destruction is to remove Saddam completely, and this can only be achieved by helping the Iraqi opposition.
Lifting sanctions is an essential part of the help, because hungry people can not fight a brutal regime.
Dr ABDUL-KHALIQ HUSSEIN
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments