Letter: Ageist jobs bias
Wednesday 10 February 1999
This can hardly be the case for the large numbers of low-paid manual workers who lose their jobs, since they are most unlikely to be members of generous final-salary pension schemes.
In the case of better-paid employees, it is a false economy for employers to resort to early retirement for those in their 50s simply to save on pension contributions. The resultant competition for the diminishing supply of skilled workers in their 20s and 30s merely has the effect of bidding salaries upwards.
Sadly, the deterioration in job prospects for middle-aged employees reflects the ageist policies being adopted by an increasing number of employers.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 This is what happens when you tattoo Charmander on yourself, drunk, and with no experience
- 2 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has leaked – watch
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'