Letter: Aids vaccine hope
Friday 27 November 1998
Slogans are well and good but we need action. The number of people between 16 and 24 being diagnosed HIV positive is growing. Without an equal age of consent, an end to Section 28, and decent sex education in schools, this is unlikely to change.
Section 28 of the Local Government Act, forbidding the "promotion of homosexuality" by councils, continues to frighten schools from offering sex education for young lesbians and gay men.
A responsible society should be only too eager to take the opportunity to educate young people and prevent unnecessary suffering.
Meanwhile people with HIV continue to experience direct discrimination. As people live longer due to combination therapies, they need help with employment. For young people this might mean specialist training as they have no previous employment record.
Opposition in the Lords lost the Equal Age of Consent legislation (the Government didn't send that back fives times).
And opposition in the Lords is being used as the excuse to delay removing Section 28.
George House Trust
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >